November 28, 2011

Christmas greetings

Here we are having entered the official holiday season and every year it happens. The "Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, whatever it is you say" debate. I don't pretend to be the world's "go to" girl for advice or information or for my opinion. I do however, have an opinion on the subject. =o)
I think we need to stop putting so much thought into it. At the end of the day, or the season, what does it matter what someone might have said to you for a greeting? Unless said person is yelling obsentities or beating the mess out of you, why can't we simply just accept their greeting? Yes, personally I do extend the "Merry Christmas" to everyone I come in contact with during the season. I say it to be a warm greeting and sincere one. The person I've said it to might in fact be Jewish, or some other religion or not have a religion at all, but I would hope the person would take it as it was given. If I was told "Happy Hanukkah", I certainly wouldn't go flipping out and make a big deal about it. I would hope and assume that this person said this to ME to extend a warm greeting. No, "Happy Holidays" is not my greeting of preference, but to a person with maybe no religion, it is still their way to extend a greeting during this time. I mean, is this truly the best time of year to try to be at our best politically corrent selves? Or is it rather a time to be kind and sincere to our fellow man? Just something to ponder.
So, if that cashier at Starbucks or Target or wherever, extends a greeting of ANY sort, just simply take it as a nice holiday gesture and extend your personal greeting back without fear of it offending anyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment