December 14, 2011

My homeschool.

In reading some of the homeschool blogs I frequent, the main theme for this month is homeschool & December. It got me thinking how true some of the posts were that I was reading. Not *only* in December, but the entire year. Our year, month, week, and day would I assure you,  not look like a normal public and or private school day. And you know what? I can't think of anything more wonderful!

If you were to come to our home on any given day, I can pretty much guarantee you'd see what to you, looked like total chaos and a home that appeared to be in desperate need of cleaning. Not cleaning as in everything is dirty, cleaning as in most days you're gonna find dishes in the sink to be washed. Most days you're gonna find laundry that needs to be done. You might realize we need to dust in some spots. But, I can tell you it isn't as it seems. You see, I'm thrilled to see dishes in my sink in need of washing. Why, you ask? Because that means I've cooked something hot and healthy for my family. If there were never dishes in there, well then that would mean I don't cook. Now mind you dear readers, this is certainly not to say we never pertake of fast food. I am after all, human.

We do not live by public school rule. We do not have a set 8-3 school day. Some days our *school* day doesn't resemble a school day at all. Is Jason learning? Yes, he is. At his own pace. If he doesn't "get" something, say his 8's muliplication, I can do that in math every single day for a month if I have to. When we come across things that he just gets, or already knows, we can blow right through that without spending sometimes more than a day on it. I can tell when he's not paying attention and seems bored. I now know this his a clue to me that he does indeed, "get it" and it's time to move on.

I will not make this a post on what public schools do or don't do. I truly have nothing against them and he had a good 1st grade as well as 1st grade teacher. But something happens out here, perhaps all over I don't know, but definitely out here. The kids in 1st-maybe 6th grade "seem" to learn an awful lot. Almost "too" much it would seem. Then by the time they graduate high school, they "seem" to know nothing. NOTHING. I won't go on and on, but back when I was in high school, we had what, 6-7 periods in the day? We were taught what we needed to know to go forward after graduation. The high school in our district has what they call, "A-day and B-day". I'm sorry, but I just do not understand this. Why do they feel they need to give them a zillion classes, and all lasting maybe 40-45 minutes? WHAT are they learning? In homeschool, we have the freedom to teach only the basics. Jason knows about tolerance and such, but I don't have to spend an hour a day with a cultural awareness class.

This brings me to December. I love December. I love what I can do at home this month that Jason wouldn't be getting in school. We can talk about Santa. We can have a Christmas tree. We can discuss the true meaning of Christmas and the birth of Jesus. We are in fact, currently doing a Christmas Unit Study by Amanda Bennett dealing with the real meaning. Some he already knows from kid church, but he is eager to study it every day and I think that is wonderful.

We can have days where all we do is bake cookies. Yes, that would be the school for that day. You can use math and science. Some days we do clean and yes, you guessed it, that can be used as a school day, too. Life lessons I call them. Laundry, shopping etc.

So, our day to day schooling is totally nothing like a regular day you'd think of, but at the end of the week, we've done what we need to do and he's learned what he's learned. At the end of a year, he is at least grade level on some things, and way above on others.

I certainly don't begrudge the public school system and I happen to know a few teachers! :) I admire them all for what they do. It can't be easy sometimes. But for me, and our family, homeschool is the only option. We control what our child learns, and when. And with that said, "Merry Christmas"!!

No comments:

Post a Comment