October 24, 2011

Yes, you would be correct, I still love my crockpot!

So, while I was sitting here this morning going through email and reading a couple blogs, with my coffee, of course =), it hit me. OH no. Dinner. That evil thing at the end of the day that can and DOES creep up on a busy wife and mom. Today was the day I was taking Michael to get his cast off and it was right smack in the middle of the day so I knew school would not take place until after we were home. I also knew I had to stop by Safeway to pick up my prescription refill which was ready, and also milk. I declare I spend a good portion of my life buying milk. Anyway, dinner was starting to look like a definite fast food kinda night. I didn't want that because we did that twice this weekend. Long story, but we did. Then it hit me....BAM! Well helllllo crockpot, how you doin? :) I had all the ingredients for beef stew. This I thought, could easily all be thrown in and cook all day. Good idea, until I realized there was NO beef in the freezer. What to do, what to do. I quickly realized I had tons of frozen boneless/skinless chicken breast and I also had broth and such. So, we had chicken stew instead. YUM. Yummy yum. So easy, so good, smells amazing:

Chicken Stew

Coat the pot of the crockpot with cooking spray. Defrost chicken in microwave(unless you just have some in the fridge to be cooked)and cut into fairly nice size chunks. Throw them in the pot a long with celery(I used 4 stalks), onion(I used a whole one)carrots(I just happened to have a bag of precut so I used that)and potatoes. I had little potatoes so I used them. I chopped everything into about the same size as the chicken. I poured one jar of chicken gravy, and a carton of veggie stock. I also used some of the stock to pour into the gravy jar to loosen up what was still in the jar and also added 2 tsp salt, 2 tsp pepper, 1/2 tsp smoked paprika and 2 tsp garlic powder to the jar and used the jar with the stock to mix the spices. I then poured that into the pot and put the lid on. It can cook at low for ten hours or high for about 6. SO good. So, so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment