January 12, 2012

My Chili!!

Found a new chili recipe that I must share. Mind you I have NOT tried it, but it is currently simmering in my crockpot for tonight. We had purchased some red wine for a roast recipe we love and had some leftover so I went searching for recipes using red wine. This was the first I came upon and it sounded good(and smells good)so I chose it. It DOES make a lot but I suspect it freezes nicely for use in the future. There was no real name for it so I will call it "My Chili" =)

2 lbs lean ground beef(I use 96%)
1/2-3/4 cup dry red wine
1 box beef stock(not broth)
1/2 of a large can of crushed tomatoes
1 can of dark red kidney beans(do not rinse)
3-4 tsp chipotle chili in adobe sauce, just the sauce
2-3 tsp cumin
1/8 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp ground garlic
1 medium onion chopped
3-4 T  chili powder

I love recipes like this because you literally throw it all in the crockpot and mix! You do need to break up the beef a bit, but that's it! Cook on low for 5-6 hours. It smells good just mixing it, I cannot wait to try it. It says you can serve it with crackers, cornbread, biscuits, grits, or over rice. Also you can of course put shredded cheese, sour cream, whatever on it in your bowl.

We do not use a lot of sour cream, so when we do, I do usually use the whole fat. Sometimes I use Greek Yogurt instead. Same with cheese, none of my recipes use a whole lot of cheese so I tend to use full fat. I like the flavor better. I don't fall into that a lot, as I use things like fat free or 1% milk, but sometimes in recipes if it doesn't call for a lot, it really does make a difference to use whole fat. As for rice, I like to use either brown or whole grain. Grits, well, you don't mess with that! They are  made one way, period!

No comments:

Post a Comment