January 21, 2013

Life

In the past several days(couple weeks)I've read numerous homeschooling blog posts about the day/week/month-etc in the life of their home. Also about difference in opinions in what the best curriculum is and do you blank or blank with your child/children.  

First of all in relation to curriculum, I realized probably mid way through our first year doing it, which was 2nd grade for Jason that it truly was no different than the "one size fits all" public school we'd taken him out of. Kids aren't a one size fits all. I'd guess most kids aren't. We did try a different area for 3rd grade in Calvert, but it was no different, or better than A Beka we'd tried for 2nd grade. I slowly began to NOT do a year long grade(1st, 7th etc) boxed set curriculum because Jason varies. I no longer do that. I think every single subject this year is from a different company. Different curriculum. We also don't do one particular grade. We have various grades per subject, depending on his level. We only use christian based curriculum for the most part. Always for science. 

And second, when I take a glimpse into our daily and or weekly lives, there are times where I wonder how on earth the boy ever learns anything!! There are days where we never change out of our jammies. Does that mean he isn't learning? Um, NO. We do have some structure to our school, but for the most part, it isn't "you have to be dressed and sitting straight at your desk quietly" for us. There are absolutely days where after half an hour, it just isn't working that day and I announce that we are done.  But at the end of any given week, even though one day might only have been an hour, he's done the weekly work and learned the week's lessons. For us, learning isn't just about reading it or doing a worksheet, it's life period. Our everyday lives, things we do that teach him just as much as reading or writing. Not that those aren't important! :)

In reading blogs lately I realize more and more that a typical homeschool day for most families is pretty much like ours and yet a world different! I have never regretted choosing to pull my child out of public school. My hope is he will not step foot in one until college! I have no intention of bad mouthing public school and there are absolutely some wonderful teachers out there. I am friends on facebook with my 1st grade teacher, Mrs. Lewis who absolutely is one of those teachers. :)

And now it's time to do a bit of schooling for our Monday. Nope, we didn't get started before lunch which is more than not the norm for us. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment